Tuesday 29 April 2008

Bby brwn b4 da crck

Here's one of my childhood heroes lookin pretty fucking sick in his black rims and high top fade.



When I was about 10 years old, Ghostbusters 2 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the movie) blessed our screens, but even more still, blessed my ears with the sound of New Jack Swing. This was in about 1989.
New Jack Swing was a very commercial amalgamation of Hip-hop and R&B, and was pioneered by people like Teddy Ryley (who was famous for fronting Guy and Black Street), and Bobby Brown.
Bobby Brown (born Robert Barisford Brown, on February 5, 1969 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA) began in his early days with boy band New Edition.... but I don't give shit about that... what I really care about is the album Don't Be Cruel released in 1988.
Co-written and produced by L.A. Reid and Babyface, as well as Teddy Riley, Don't Be Cruel spawned five Top 10 Billboard Hot 100 singles: "Don't Be Cruel" (#8), "Every Little Step" (#3), "Rock Wit' Cha" (#7), "My Prerogative" (#1, subsequently covered by Britney Spears in 2004), and "Roni" (#3). The album would eventually be certified 7x platinum (7,000,000 units sold)(Yeah I know how to copy and paste from wikipedia).

This is the video for my FAVOURITE bobby brown song On Our Own from Ghostbusters 2... WITNESS YO!

No comments: